Saturday, April 10, 2010

Bobby Bobby Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill Corn Muffins

I was invited to a shindig that required some veggie or non-red meat friendly food. I also recently bought Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill Cookbook. What a perfect opportunity to try out a new recipe and hopefully impress some new people?! I decided to make a his famous Mesa Grill Blue and Yellow Corn Muffins (sans the blue because I didn't want to put in the effort to find the blue cornmeal).It's a great recipe to make the day before and then bake the day of. I modified the recipe because I don't eat a lot of red onions. I thin muffins are best served warm with butter...and probably honey, although, I didn't try it with honey since I kind of forgot.

Recipe adapted from Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill Cookbook:

Nonstick spray
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped1 and 1/3 cup whole milk (usually I use a milk alternative but I felt that the cow's milk would work better with the corn muffins)
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup finely diced red bell pepper
2 jalapeno chiles, finely diced and de-seeded
1/2 cup frozen corn kernals
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 cup blue cornmeal1 cup yellow cornmeal (I just used 2 cups yellow cornmeal and did not include the blue cornmeal)
1 and 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda4 teaspoons kosher salt

If you decide to use the 1 cup blue cornmeal and 1 cup yellow cornmeal then you must split all the different steps evenly in order to make two batters and then mix the batters together (marbling).
Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 400F. Place the rack in the middle of the oven. Grease a 12-muffin pan with non stick spray.

2. In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Add the garlic and cook for 30-40 seconds. Take off the heat and allow to cool slightly. (at this point, you'd want to split the butter and garlic into 2 bowls for the 1/2 and 1/2 mixture).
3. In another bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, honey, red pepper, jalapenos, corn and cilantro. (split in 1/2 for 50-50 mixture)

4. Put the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in to a bowl and mix. Add the dry mixture to the liquid and mixture.

5. Pour the batter into the 12-muffin pan. The recipe says it makes 12 but I definitely could have made 18 or so. Place in the oven for 16 minutes (for me it took more like 21 minutes). To check the muffin batter, put a toothpick or chopstick into the muffin, when it comes out with a couple of crumbs then they are done. Let rest out of the oven, in the pan for 5 minutes.These were eaten with rave reviews. I also made Bobby's Tamarind Chicken, since I don't eat red meat. The combination was fabulous. When warm, the muffins were given a 5 out of 5 by my designated food taster. The jalapenos offered a nice bit of heat to the muffin. Honey and heat and salty are a great combination!

No comments:

Post a Comment