Monday, May 17, 2010

Something "Healthy" for a Healthy Dose of Vitamin D and Activity!

Friday and Saturday were fantastic for outdoor excursions! On Friday, I read my thesis outside (yay! 3 more weeks until a Masters degree is mine for the taking!) and then went for a run at Discovery Park with my friend, Michelle, who I haven't seen in ages. I also got the GREEN light from Dr. Green to run and bike and do more things, of course, I go at them full force!


I didn't really have much energy to do anything Friday night and I knew Saturday was probably going to test me, since Manny and I were going on a bike ride and I haven't ridden outside in ages. I had a sweet tooth and didn't really want to go to the store to buy anything, plus, I really really really want to stay healthy and cut out even more sugar. I gotta get that bathing suit bod somehow...Hawaii is June 30. I took a look in the fridge and in the pantry. I wanted to use up some stuff that's just been sitting there (aka quinoa and some pumpkin seeds)...so this is what I came up with...it's not an exact science because I was just throwing things together, but I think it came out pretty tasty...I've been eating it for bfast, lunch and dinner.

In a bowl combine:
1 block silken tofu (mash with masher)
approximately 1 cup oatmeal
approximately 3/4 cup quinoa
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 handfuls pumpkin seeds
2 handfuls dark chocolate chunks
1 tablespoon vanilla

Combine...add flour to get a consistency you are happy with...so, not too soupy but not cookie dough like. A good batter consistency is desirable.

Place in a pan sprayed with oil. Drizzle with honey.

Place in 350F oven for approximately 30-40 minutes. Let the middle set. If the middle giggles then keep that sucker in there. :)

Below is a picture with a HUGE piece taken out. Mmm...it's best warm when the chocolate melts a little in your mouth! Plus, look at my new cast iron skillet! :)

I took a piece of this tasty treat with me on the bike ride. Manny and I went to Bainbridge Island. I've never been there before and it was a great day for a bike ride and a great day to lay on the beach. I was going to wear my bathing suit but I decided not to...but I should have. One lady stopped me on the side of the rode and yelled "Girl Power!" haha That's because I was waiting for Manny at one of the turns. He's such a trooper and did such a good job!


We biked to the State Park on the island. Next time, I want to go around the whole thing. We then went to the Cheese Festival in downtown Seattle. I recently found out that I have a love-hate relationship with cheese. I love, it hates. Boooo. I didn't have any. I waited til I got home and quickly whipped up an awesome smoothie.

1 heaping scoop Vanilla Rice protein powder
1 scoop Amazing Grass Berry flavor
2 handfuls spinach
1 banana
1 cup frozen berries
Rice Milk to fill...well approx 1-1.5 cups

It was fabulous! I stretched, took a shower and vegged.

Sunday was nice but kind of lazy. I went to hot yoga and the guy was great. Jo and I got a great stretch and I was amped and ready to go for this morning's workout at SassyFit. Now for school and lots of work and a track workout later tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment