Thursday, June 9, 2011

Barefoot Running

This will be a quick and dirty post.  Unfortunately, no pictures (Sad face).  I'll update it tomorrow or this weekend with pictures.

Anyway, I am embarking on a journey.  It's more like an experiment. After reading Born to Run, I got really interested in barefoot running.  If that's how our ancestors did it, then by jolly, I should try it too.  Plus, there are so many benefits, or so people say.

So, I'm going to chronicle my entry into barefoot running and let you know, from my perspective how it is.  Thus far, it's been painful.  Part of that is because I totally took off part of my heel when I lost a battle with a shower door (skin came off, there was bleeding; it was a mess).  I bought Vibrams (the originals) in black.  I wasn't adventurous enough to try the crazy hardcore looking shoes.  I have 2 blisters (one on each foot) from the shoes.  Both blisters are on the inside of my foot.
To my surprise, I haven't been sore in the calves or anything.  I think it's because I do beach running once in a while, which is barefoot and more difficult than running on cement.  I started with a 2 mile walk run.  I've progressed to a 3 mile run walk (mostly run).  My core was a little more tired after the run, so I know I'm getting some good muscle action.  

I have a run coming up next week, so I'll probably use my regular running shoes.  It's a 6 mile run at Camp Pendleton.  The mud run (not the real one since it sold out but close).

More to come.  I'll probably lift a little with them too and let you know how that goes. I also plan on making this awesome awesome cake.  You'll just have to wait and see.  Until next time!! Exercise and eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment