Sunday, June 6, 2010

Caramel Coconut Chocolate Concoction (Alliteration!)

My Master's defense presentation is tomorrow and of course there has to be some kind of treat to entice the masses (or not) to attend!  

I saw this recipe on the Cookin' Canuck blog, and I gave it a tweet with what I had and the number of people I'm anticipating.  I know you are all wondering, what in the world are you doing baking when you should be preparing.  Well, baking is calming for me. The apartment smells delicious now. I have to either buy it or make it and I'd prefer to make it.  I have to impress by showing off my culinary skills!...and here I can show my baking skills and maybe my photography skills??? haha Do I have any? I don't know, but I'd like to think positive - so I have skills in photography. 

On to the recipe!  I had to double the recipe and didn't have enough brown sugar, so what did I sub??? dundundun! CARAMEL!


Step 1: 
Preheat oven to 350F

Make the crust first: 1 cup oats, 1 cup all purpose flour, 1/2 cup packed brown sugar,
1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 cup coconut shredded (I used non-sweetened)

Place in a bowl and combine with 12 tablespoons of butter, melted.
Combine until well mixed.

Cover a pan with tin foil and spray with oil.  Put the crust mixture in the tin foil and press into the pan. 

Bake for 11 minutes

Smell the goodness!!

Let the crust cool and start on the fudge chocolate inside. 

Step 2:
Place 3 cups of dark chocolate and 4 tsp butter in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 2 minutes.
Take out and stir.

In another bowl, place 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup packed brown sugar, 1/2 cup caramel sauce (mmmm),
1/2 tsp salt and mix together. 

When the chocolate has cooled, mix in 2 eggs. 

Mix everything together. 

Pour over the oat crust. 


Smear the goodness around. Cover with caramel sauce.


Let bake for 10 minutes then add shredded coconut.  Let bake for 10 minutes and then cover with tin foil. Bake for 5-10 minutes.




Cut into pieces! I had to cut off the edges because I didn't want to present them...slightly harder/slight burnt.  It's ok. I means more for me!! Or whoever has a sweet tooth...the boy. 




I did some laundry and went on a run.  It was the first run without stopping for a while!  It was good.  I was definitely going slow. I ran 3.35 miles at 9:40 pace.  That's slow compared to where I was at in January, but I'll get back up there with more consistent running.  I want to run a 5k at 7 min/mile pace but I don't know if that will happen this year.  I'm thinking 8 min/mile pace by December will be a more attainable goal. Wish me luck!!!!!!!!

Oh and luck for tomorrow! Send the good vibes.

No comments:

Post a Comment